Email and Personal Management
Evolution combines e-mail, calendar, address book, and task list management functions into a single intuitive application. It also integrates with your desktop to provide a quick snapshot of your calendar and task items - simply click on the clock.
Other Mail Clients
To try a different mail client go to Applications > Add/Remove... and type in the name of the application. Make sure that "Show: All Available Applications" is enabled.
Thunderbird (From the creators of Firefox)
Google's Gmail can be integrated into your desktop for new mail notifications and configuration as the default mail client in Ubuntu.
- Go to Applications > Add/Remove....
- Make sure that "Show: All Available Applications" is enabled.
- Type "gmail" into the search bar.
- Click the checkbox next to "Gmail Notify" and click Apply Changes.
- Go to Application > Internet > Gmail Notify to configure new mail notfications.
Configure Gmail as the Default Mail Client
Go to System > Preferences > Preferred Applications.
Under Mail Reader, select Custom, and then put this into the Command window, changing "oem" to your username.
- Open your Home folder, right click any empty space, and choose Create Document > Empty File.
- Name the file "open_mailto.sh".
- Right click on the file and choose Properties. Click the Permissions tab and click the checkbox next to Execute: Allow executing file as program.
- Open the file and paste in the following text:
#!/bin/sh firefox -remote "openurl(https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=`echo $1 | sed 's/mailto://'`,new-tab)"
Save and close the file. Now when you click an email link Firefox will open to your Gmail account. Thanks to http://www.howtogeek.com for this How To.